Green Driving – Save Money With 10 Actionable Tips
What Is Green Driving?
Green Driving, also known as Energy-efficient driving, Eco Driving and Smart Driving is a combination of efficient driving techniques that you can use to reduce your carbon footprint.
Green driving practices saves you money AND is better for the environment by producing less carbon emissions.
It’s a win-win.
And the best part? It’s REALLY easy to drive green.
10 Actionable Tips for Driving Greener
Here are the 10 Green Driving Tips for Energy-Efficient Driving:
- Maintain a steady average speed instead of jerky driving – in practice this means that you should avoid accelerating and braking often. Remember that each acceleration and deceleration requires fuel.
- Try to engine brake as often as possible – instead of braking with the brake pedal, you can shift down through gears and let your car brake without using fuel. Lower gears equal more engine braking.
- Avoid idling when parked – limiting idling time to no more than 30 seconds to prevent unnecessary fuel consumption.
- Check your tire pressure by making sure they are properly inflated to the manufacturers recommended tire pressure. Properly inflated tires can save you up to 3% on fuel.
- Perform regular car maintenance – a proper engine tune-up, wheel alignment, and air filter change can make a real difference in emissions.
- Remove unnecessary weight when driving – heavier loads equal more fuel consumption.
- Turn off your heater or air conditioning – most people don’t realize how much energy the AC needs to function. It can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% depending on your car and other conditions.
- Close windows at high speeds – close your windows over 50 mph to prevent aerodynamic drag.
- Plan your trips! Knowing where you’re going can lead to fewer stops, less traffic and less idling.
- Consider carpooling or ridesharing – that’s one less car on the road!
Start Driving More Economically Today
We hope you’re excited to try out these new techniques to reduce your carbon footprint.
Which one are you going to try first?
Let us know!
Take our full course with tests and theory
550+ exam-like questions
All you need to ace your test
Perfect for first-timers, renewals and senior citizens
Winter is still on the roads: Tips for safe driving in February
February is a month with a high number of traffic fatalities on the roads. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2020, there were 2,674 traffic deaths in the US, a 12% increase from the previous year. Whether it’s snow, sleet or ice, winter weather can cause extremely dangerous road conditions. In 2020, […]
What is Drive Scout? Login, Pricing, & Best Alternatives
What is Drive Scout? Drive Scout is an online scheduling software for automotive driving schools. The cloud-based system offers different pricing packages that provide access to a centralized business management hub. Features Centralized driving lesson appointment calendar where instructors, students, vehicles and services can be scheduled. Filterable calendar view and daily appointment roster feed panel. […]
How Long Does Driving School Take on Average?
Whether you’re a teenager eager to start driving or an adult who doesn’t have time for a lengthy driving course, you’re probably wondering how long it takes to learn to drive at a driving school. Driving course length depends on a few factors, like the driving school you choose to attend, your personal learning style, […]
Ace your DMV test, guaranteed