Green Driving – Save Money With 10 Actionable Tips
What Is Green Driving?
Green Driving, also known as Energy-efficient driving, Eco Driving and Smart Driving is a combination of efficient driving techniques that you can use to reduce your carbon footprint.
It’s a win-win.
And the best part? It’s REALLY easy to drive green.
10 Actionable Tips for Driving Greener
Here are the 10 Green Driving Tips for Energy-Efficient Driving:
- Maintain a steady average speed instead of jerky driving – in practice this means that you should avoid accelerating and braking often. Remember that each acceleration and deceleration requires fuel.
- Try to engine brake as often as possible – instead of braking with the brake pedal, you can shift down through gears and let your car brake without using fuel. Lower gears equal more engine braking.
- Avoid idling when parked – limiting idling time to no more than 30 seconds to prevent unnecessary fuel consumption.
- Check your tire pressure by making sure they are properly inflated to the manufacturers recommended tire pressure. Properly inflated tires can save you up to 3% on fuel.
- Perform regular car maintenance – a proper engine tune-up, wheel alignment, and air filter change can make a real difference in emissions.
- Remove unnecessary weight when driving – heavier loads equal more fuel consumption.
- Turn off your heater or air conditioning – most people don’t realize how much energy the AC needs to function. It can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% depending on your car and other conditions.
- Close windows at high speeds – close your windows over 50 mph to prevent aerodynamic drag.
- Plan your trips! Knowing where you’re going can lead to fewer stops, less traffic and less idling.
- Consider carpooling or ridesharing – that’s one less car on the road!
Start Driving More Economically Today
We hope you’re excited to try out these new techniques to reduce your carbon footprint.
Which one are you going to try first?
Let us know!
Take our full course with tests and theory
450+ exam-like questions
All you need to ace your test
Perfect for first-timers, renewals and senior citizens
Anti-Lock Braking System Explained: What It Is and How It Works
We’ve all been in driving situations where it was necessary to brake quickly. These situations generally happen when traffic ahead of you suddenly stops, when a light unexpectedly turns red, when road conditions are poor, or when a driver makes a poor driving decision. These situations can be scary and dangerous. However, vehicles have become […]
Automatic Cars Explained: What It Is and How to Drive One
In America today, the mass majority of cars produced and currently on the road come with automatic transmission. If you’ve driven a car before, it more than likely had an automatic transmission. Manual transmission has not completely gone away, but it has proven to be far more difficult to learn how to drive one. Transmission […]
What are Fog Lights and When Should You Use Them?
Driving in unsafe weather conditions can make driving extremely challenging. Luckily, car makers have implemented features to help drivers navigate situations such as these. Fog lamps are far from standard on most American vehicles, but manufacturers regularly offer it in higher trim levels of even economy cars. Many drivers confuse fog lamps for high beams […]
Could you ace your DMV test?